Friday, August 14, 2009

Bitten by the craft bug

Craving Creativity: because I never feel creative and I always want to be.

I have officially been bitten by the craft bug. I guess it really started a couple years ago. I had a friend who was always posting pictures of things she had sewn for her house, her daughter, her cats...she was creative. Then another friend started posting pictures and talking about projects she was working on. Such cute things, why didn’t I think of that? Well when she made a blog to showcase her creations I think it put me over the edge. I want to do that! And so seemingly overnight I have become an obsessive web surfer in search of ideas, tutorials, fabric, everything I can get my hands on. (In doing so I’ve also discovered an obsession for owls that I never knew existed). The possibilities are endless! There are so many things I want to make! But sadly I don’t have the pocketbook to make them all RIGHT NOW like I really want. Coupons are my friends.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know how boring this blog is going to be. I don’t know how often I will end up updating. All I know is right now I feel inspired. I feel like a whole new world has been opened to me and I’m excited! I am thinking (hoping really) that I would like to turn this into something big. I would love to learn to sew beautiful quilts like my great-grandmother. I would love for this to be a serious hobby, and dare I say something I could possibly even make money off of? One day…sometime in the far away future I think. But baby steps, one should always start with baby steps right?

I’m starting small I guess, with unoriginal sewing projects that everyone seems to make. Anyone who knows me knows my love for children, and I guess it is for that reason that I am drawn to the baby items right now, even though I currently have no use for them myself. Luckily I know lots of moms, maybe they will want some of my things. I’m telling myself that I’m starting simple while I draw from my memory bank the sewing lessons my grandma taught me oh so many years ago on her lovely circa 1963 Bernina machine that has been sitting in my house untouched for…oh about 15 years now. I’m going for simple projects for now, although I have been pleasantly surprised at how well I have picked up on that machine as I envisioned it being much worse.

Ok well enough rambling for now. Welcome to my new blog. I hope I don’t bore you to tears. I will post pictures of my first couple projects as soon as I go to Joann’s for the millionth time this week and put the finishing touches on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment