Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Monkey Boy

So here are my first two projects:

First was a baby blanket.



I completely fell in love with the purple fabric, and the minky not only matched perfectly but was on sale as well, and I am all about sales and coupons. Frankly I don't think the pictures do it justice. In person it really does match and the fabric looks prettier, I promise. The blanket is about 35x35 and I guess it’s just ok. We are all our own worst critic right? It’s nothing special and not that well done, but then again it was the very first time I sat at my machine in at least 15 years or so. I’ve actually thought about ripping it apart now and making something different out of it. We’ll see. At the very least I think I will go back and get some more of the purple print this week since it is now also on sale. Hmm, what to make with it…

My second project actually turned out better than I imagined and I have to say I’m actually pretty proud of it. I was telling one of the moms I nanny for about my newest sewing endeavors and she immediately asked me if I could make one of those tag/ribbon blankets. Well what do you know it was already next on my list of things to make. I was so excited to make one for the little man. He has a favorite elephant stuffed animal (Ella) and when he needs to comfort himself or fall asleep at night he rubs and/or sucks on the tag. Needless to say the tag is completely threadbare at this point and hardly serves its purpose anymore so this mini blankie is going to be just perfect for him. Now, I tend to over think and over analyze things better than anyone out there (and most of the time that’s not really a good thing) and this project was no exception. We call the little man “Monkey Boy” as he can climb anything and has done so since he was merely a few months old. He has incredible strength and absolutely no fear. So of course I had to get some cute monkey themed fabric and even some monkey ribbons thanks to the awesome ribbon store Corynn introduced me to. Thanks Corynn! It took me a very long time and lots of scrutinizing to pick everything out, but in the end I think it turned out great.


So here is the finished project (with red minky on the back):



Do you think this means he approves?



Now to get up at 4:30am to turn on the washer (so as not to wake up anyone else in the house at this hour) so I will have some fabric to work with tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I've made the little blanket with the ribbons before too. I used polar fleece for mine (made them before minkee was everywhere). They were a hit. I just discovered Hobby Lobby last weekend. Great store! I can't believe I've lived here for three years and am just now discovering it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hobby Lobby! I actually applied there but my friend got the job instead. I only wish they had even more fabric because what they do have is great. So much cuter than Joann's.

    ReplyDelete