Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Banned from any more shopping

Apparently I'm just bad at taking pictures in a timely manner, because that is really what has been holding me up on posting recently. Well that and the numerous full day shopping excursions Corynn and I have been going on lately. I'm officially banning myself from spending any more money for the rest of the month. Let's see 22 days, do you think that's possible? Yeah, I don't think so either. But it sounds good in theory. Hopefully I have enough fabric stockpiled at this point to keep me busy for a while. Anyway, here is what I have been up to:

When I first told my mom that I was going to start sewing her immediate response was "Oh, can you make me an apron?" She didn't want just any apron though, she had a specific idea of one in her head. We never ended up finding exactly what she wanted but we came up with something close that we actually think might better suit what she wanted anyway. Now, she was adamant that I not post her picture online, but does it count if I crop it so all you really see is the apron?




After the apron pattern that made the apron MUCH more complicated than it really was, I needed a quick and easy project…or at least I thought that’s what I was doing. I had some stuff on hand already to make burp cloths from cloth diapers. You would think this would be simple enough, sew a simple strip of flannel to a diaper. Piece of cake! Not so much when you have an old sewing machine that has issues and needs help. First I tried making a burpy with the diaper folded up. I think I ripped it back apart 5 times. Mom even tried. My machine needs help. So the end result is still not up to my standards and I sort of gave up on that idea. Next I thought I would try one with the diaper flat, and a piece of material I cut too narrow the first time. I didn’t have very high hopes for it so I didn’t really care at this point. This is what I ended up with:



In doing the second diaper I learned a “secret trick”. It’s not the ideal way to make one of these, but with the current state of my machine it was necessary to sew in a strange way in order to end up with a final project that was up to my standards. This was a good thing too because by this time I got an order for some baby shower gifts: a “blue geometric print” ribbon blanket and 2 burp cloths. And this is what I made:




I am happy with them. Now what to make next? And how to come up with the money to service my poor old machine with the achy bones and the attitude problem…

No comments:

Post a Comment